If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (806) 331-4555

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Exposing Mold Myths

3/4/2019 (Permalink)

It is common for mold to be found in homes everywhere. It is usually found in dark, warm, moist, and stagnant areas of the home, such as bathrooms, behind appliances, around AC units, around leaky windows, underneath sinks, etc. When it comes to mold, there are a lot of facts, myths, and misunderstandings that are tossed around regularly. SERVPRO of West Amarillo is here to help clear up common mold misconceptions.

MYTH: Your house should be completely mold-free.

Mold spores are part of the natural environment and are found in the air not only in the outside world, but the inside world as well. It is nearly impossible to keep an entire home completely sterilized down to the last mold spore, but even if it is attainable, it isn’t completely necessary. Mold usually only becomes an issue when found in unhealthy amounts, such as visible colonies.

MYTH: Every mold is “Black mold” or just as dangerous.

Mold comes in all colors, shapes, forms, and kinds, but not all mold is the notoriously dangerous “Black mold.” It is best to have a certified mold tester to help with any potential mold case, because they will be able to help identify molds and whether they are toxic. Only certain mold spores produce toxins, and they will only produce the toxins under certain circumstances. Even in the event that the spores are producing toxins, it is rare that a human can inhale enough of those toxins to receive a “toxic” dose.

MYTH: Mold is completely harmless.

As stated previously, you cannot completely eradicate mold from your home, but allowing it to grow into dangerous amounts without having it tested and/or looked at is also not advised. The effects of mold depend on a lot of variables regarding humans (ex: differing immune systems, amount of exposure, the kind of mold, allergies to certain molds, etc.), but there is no doubt that mold can cause damage to structures and personal belongings if left unnoticed or ignored.

MYTH: Mold remediation can be done easily from the home with common household cleaners, such as bleach.

While partly true, this is advised against if you want the job to be done thoroughly. There are too many unknown factors about the mold, such as its type, origin, and spread to trust this method. Bleach only kills certain kinds of molds, if they are on non-porous surfaces and in small areas. Bleach’s effectiveness to rid of mold on porous surfaces such as wood, drywall, paper, and textiles is highly questionable. Any pervasive mold problem should always be handled by a Certified Mold Inspector. While having the mold professionally analyzed and tested may be much more costly than doing it yourself, you can’t put a price on peace of mind.

MYTH: Small amounts of mold do not indicate a bigger problem.

This is false for numbers of reasons. Finding mold colonies, especially near an area you cannot fully see, could be just the tip of the iceberg. Again, always seek professional help with a mold problem, just to assure that it isn’t something bigger than what you’re seeing.

Other News

View Recent Posts